Rank #1: Happy No Matter What
Would you like to be happy every day of the week? Maybe it’s time to start thinking like a happy person?
There’s no magic to being happier.
Rose colored glasses are not required.
Just start looking at your day-to-day life the way a happy person does.
Give this a try:
1) Accept that merely being alive means you will run into occasional challenges.
2) Realize that dealing with challenges is a privilege that comes with being alive.
3) Welcome frustration. That means that you are not satisfied and are beginning to make adjustments.
4) Accept responsibility for solving your challenges. Run forward and fix them as soon as possible.
5) Deal with everything that life throws at you. Get a great nights sleep. Have another great day tomorrow.
It's amazing how that kind of mindset makes most challenges never show up in the first place.
Rank #2: Keeps Things Simple. Get Stuff Done.
I’m a fan of David Allen’s Getting Things Done. His book spawned an entire industry. It also causes a lot of stress.
A few years ago David was speaking at a conference and folks asked how he managed to get things done:
1) Nothing gets done until I process everything. No cheating.
2) When I have time, I process everything into a single “Trusted” place. Some folks use a journal. Others use software.
3) I review my potential work weekly and decide if I still need to do it.
Nothing added to your list is more important than tasks already there. Processing everything together will reveal the best path. Stay focused, my friend.
Rank #3: Stop Being Comfortably Miserable
Are you living a life of comfortable misery?
It's easy to settle into day-to-day that is not exactly what you want. It’s not bad. It’s not good.
Are you making barely enough income to be comfortable but still struggle?
Is your job okay but not inspiring?
Are your relationships fine but not fueling your dreams?
Most folks are living comfortably miserable. Don’t let that be you.
Change your path now. Decide to accept nothing less than exactly what you want. Stand up, take a step, and repeat. The rest will work itself out. That’s a promise.
Rank #4: More Productive One Week at a Time
What if you could maintain never-ending momentum while you worked toward your goals? No matter how long it took?
The ‘MTM Rolling 7’ is the solution you need to get the life you’ve always said you wanted.
It works like this:
1) Set your short-term and long-term goals.
2) Decide what past achievements you enjoy and that you want to defend. Many current successes must you should maintain while you pursue your new adventures.
3) Decide what future goals you are ready to ‘activate' and achieve.
4) Next week begins this week. On Thursday of this week, make your plan for how you will defend, activate, and create your dream life next week.
Spend the next few days thinking about your plan. You’ll amaze yourself at how you begin making progress one week at a time.
Rank #5: Get Out of Your Rut At Your Peril
I live by a mantra that says -
“Almost everything in day-to-day life should be routine. Consistent. Predictable. Between the lines. Boring. But, occasionally, it’s good to get out of the box, a little on edge, a bit scared, and a lot excited.”
The truth is, you need both. There is also another truth.
Most things that make you happy and successful are pretty mundane — taking care of your home, paying bills on time, spending time with family. Consistent routines focused on what’s important are how you achieve success.
Have fun and stick to what feels comfortable is working for you. After all, it’s not a rut; it’s a routine.
Today's Daily Boost is brought to you by Shine - because we're all busy—you're busy, I'm busy. And it can be easy to put yourself last on the list. That's where Shine comes in.
Rank #6: How to Focus on Happiness
Bought to you by HelloFresh. Get $80 off your first month by going to HelloFresh.com/BOOST80 and enter BOOST80.
Have you ever found yourself feeling stressed by the path you are traveling in your life?
Should go this way?
Should go that way?
Who wouldn’t feel stressed when you’re always looking at an uncertain future?
It gets worse when you start comparing yourself to the success of others. We’ve all heard folks say, “If they can do it - YOU can do it!”
Sure you can. But is that what you want?
There’s no need to feel stressed over something that seems big and out of reach from you where are now. All you need to do is ask, “Is that honestly important to me?” If not, drop it, and your stress will go away.
Most folks focus on what is in front of them. Happy people on what is inside of them.
Rank #7: Simple Time Management
Are you having difficulty managing your time?
With millions of years of civilization, you have to wonder why we still struggling with time.
It’s time to keep it simple:
1) Every day has 24 hours. That’s enough time to do anything.
2) You will always have time for what is important to you. Focus, my friend.
3) Scheduling space in your day for your tasks is your number one priority.
4) Completing your scheduled tasks is your second priority. Keeping going until you finish your mission.
5) Avoid people that steal your time. They will be persistent. Hide if you must.
Rank #8: Characteristics of Success
Do you wish you that you could find a mentor to help you along the way?
Every mentor I’ve ever had has made a point of validating that I possessed three characteristics for success.
Would you pass their test?
1) Do you have a burning desire to achieve your goal?
2) Are you a coachable person and prepared to accept the wisdom and guidance of others?
3) Do you have the willingness to undertake all actions to achieve your success?
Wouldn’t you want this in someone that was asking for your help?
Walk your talk. Talk your walk. That’s a great life.
Rank #9: Instant Better Communication
What if three words could allow you to communicate better and reach your goals faster?
Here’s how to stay on track no matter who wants to pull you off course:
1) When asked by others to help them reach their goals it’s time to agree and defer. As an example, say, “Yes, I can help, AND let’s talk about it later when I finish what I’m doing. Watch how folks leave you alone.
2) Inserting the word ‘Yet’ into any conversation will allow you to stay positive and keep your momentum. For instance, saying “Not yet. I’ll let you know when I’m ready” will do wonders.
Success and happiness arrive when you stay focused and on track chasing your goals. Prioritize yourself and defer others.
Rank #10: Become The Leader Everyone Knows
Become The Leader Everyone Knows
Are you a Rock Star leader or a member of the band?
Either is okay, but it sure helps to know which role you play while you move toward your goals.
Let's define the difference.
In the eyes of the world, a Rock Star is the leader of the band. Everyone knows their name. They have the spotlight, and the audience seeks them out. They also accept the responsibility that goes with the job.
The band may make the entire engine run and get mad respect. But very few people know the member's names.
If your goals have you in a starring role, it's time to step up. If you are happier in a support position, accept who you are and become the best you can be.
Rank #11: Three Things You Need to Get What You Want
I just got off the phone with a client. We were chatting about getting moving. She said, “That’s the hardest part! I need help getting off my butt.”
She’s not alone.
Getting what you want comes down to pure physics:
1) An object at rest stays at rest, and an object in motion stays in motion with the same speed and the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.
2) Inertia must overcome your resting state or your current path. That will require a -
3) Catalyst is what gets you moving - otherwise known as motivation. What will get you moving today?
Rank #12: What’s Your Big, Awesome, Motivating, Mission?
Do you still dream of what you will be when you grow up?
Do visions still keep popping into your head?
Is there a mission that seems to be calling you?
What’s your BAM?
What’s your BIG - AWESOME - MOTIVATION - MISSION?
What gives you pleasant dreams and a feeling of happiness?
What scares, yet excites you?
What makes you smile and say, “If I could only get myself to…”
Stand up? Take a step? Repeat?
There’s no need to wait. You can start right now. Really! Right now.
Rank #13: Tomorrow’s Happiness Starts Today
Do you ever wake up in the morning and jump straight into your To-Do list and forget about what you want?
With so much on our plates, it can be easy to lose track of the big picture and lose track of where you were heading.
That’s why we always do our Homework on Monday. It’s a powerful way to ‘Overlay’ your what is essential in your life while you get the day-to-day stuff done.
Here’s how I do it:
1) Check in with the ‘Roles’ and ‘Goals’ you have in your life. Do you like what you have or need to make a change? Decide the ‘next’ action that you will take this week.
2) ‘Hold Space’ on your calendar to move your ‘Roles and Goals’ in the direction of your dreams. Don’t let day-to-day challenges through you off track.
3) No matter how busy you get, review your homework throughout the week. Focus on your future.
Tomorrow’s happiness is built on a foundation of today’s focus. Don’t lose track of that.
Rank #14: Fast Path to Success
Success is a funny word. Generic yet descriptive, success is something different for everyone. Whatever success means to you, there is one fast-path to get it:
1) Decide what you want. You’ll need the help of others too so start thinking about building your idea into a form that others will understand.
2) Build your dream. Stop trying to make it perfect. When you are 70% ready to move forward, it’s time to get busy.
3) Sell it. Are you seeking a new job, finding a new relationship, or selling a product for your business? Nothing will happen if you don’t sell it
Decide. Build. Sell. Repeat. Don’t do anything else until you get what you want.
Rank #15: It’s All About Your Experience
Happy New Year!
As we begin a new year, I have a question for you.
What experiences will you have this year?
Life is all about the experience. That requires planning, awareness, and setting expectations.
As you go about setting and achieving your goals, be sure to pay attention to your focus. While you take action, shift your focus to the experience you desire. Life will be a lot more fun.
Isn't that what goal setting is all about?
Don't skip over the fun by jumping to the destination. Savor the journey in 2019.