Rank #1: Drifter (Vol 4)
Genres: Ambient, New Age
It’s usually the case that a great track I discover becomes the seed and inspiration to one of my upcoming mixes. However, for this mix it was actually a person. His name is Dave Michuda and he creates (mostly) Ambient mixes under the name “low light mixes“.
If you’re a Mixcloud regular listener, it won’t take you long to discover him. His mixes are popular for a very good reason: they are quite the most highly polished, finely curated ambient mixes I’ve ever heard! I have quite a few favorite mixes from him that have become my go-to ones for relaxing and falling asleep.
He is also a very approachable guy. I recently messaged him asking about ambient music suggestions and he took the time to write me a very thorough list of them that I have started discovering ever since. Go ahead and check out his work over on Mixcloud and follow him on Twitter if you want.
I’m pretty sure his mixes will continue to provide active inspiration for my Drifter series for the future to come, much like how Ambient Nights introduced me to this wonderful style of music and inspired me to begin mixing Ambient music in the first place.
- Andrew Bayer – All This Will Happen Again
- All India Radio – Surf On The Malecon (DJ Seroton Edit)
- Arcade Fire – Dimensions (“Her” Soundtrack) (DJ Seroton Edit)
- All India Radio – Losing Houston
- Rudy Adrian – Watery Moon
- Jonn Serrie – Annie by the Sea
- Chicane – Fin De Jours
- Wavestar – Landfall (DJ Seroton Edit)
- Tim Hecker – Boreal Kiss, Part 1
- Ólafur Arnalds – Lokadu Augunum
- Erik Wollo – Sphere (Into the Dream)
- Bliss – Spun Glass
- Alio Die – Intramundia
- Stars Of The Lid – The Kraut
- Pete Namlook & Tetsu Inoue – Morning Spirit (DJ Seroton Edit)
- Gulan – Abstracto
Oct 09 2014
Rank #2: Drifter (Vol 3)
Genre: Ambient, Chillout, World Music
I’m always inspired to create new mixes because I personally enjoy coming back and listening to these mixes over and over again. Few as they are, mixes in the ‘Drifter‘ series are my most played ones because they literally help me drift off to a wonderful sleep. Hope you enjoy this one.
- Jon Hopkins – Abandon Window
- Rudy Adrian – Moonwater
- Rudy Adrian & Ron Boots – Papanui Lagoon
- Adham Shaikh & Tim Floyd – Embers
- Darshan Ambient – Soft Land
- Antonymes – No Dominion [Demo Excerpt]
- Robert Rich & Lisa Moscow – Bija
- Pepe Sitra – Phoenix
- Jeff Pearce – Opening Theme
- Rudy Adrian – Eclipse
- Alan Stivell – La harpe, l’eau, le vent 1 (Telenn, avel, dour)
- Deep Forest – The Second Twilight
- Suspended Memories – Saguaro
Feb 25 2014
Rank #3: Drifter (Vol 9) – In Memory of Nabil
Genres: Ambient, Drone
The time soon comes for parting,
And our time is at an end,
The rest of your life is starting,
And we have no time at all to spend.
You knew one day you’d have to go,
But thought you’d have more time.
We can’t reverse time’s one-way flow,
But at least you’ll have this rhyme.
You had your shining moments,
Upon this life’s darkened stage,
And in my book of wonderments,
You’ll never be just another page.
Like the exploding of a star,
You’ve changed me in and out,
Your light will travel with me far,
Past when all other lights go out.
“Drifter’s Melody” by Megan R. Bokowski
Rest in my peace my friend. I hope you’re happy where you are.
This is to your memory.
- Kreng – Karcist
- Rob Simonsen – I Want to Call Him (“The Spectacular Now” Soundtrack)
- Accelra – The Woodworker (Remix)
- Solarsoul feat. Nimanty – The Starry Sky (Original Space Ambient Mix)
- Sokkyō – Las Perseidas
- Stray Theories – Blackout
- Andrew Lahiff – Clouds
- Eluvium – Wind Book (Excerpt)
- Ben Woods – No Word From Above
- Kreng – Acceptance
- Rudy Adrian – Fading Light
- Biosphere – Hyperborea (Excerpt)
- 36 – Another World
- Marconi Union – Northern Stations
- Fellirium – Beyond the Dream (part 3)
- Stray Theories – Breathless
May 31 2016
Rank #4: Drifter (Vol 8)
Genres: Ambient, New Age, Drone
This mix is dedicated to the wonderful people behind Ambient-Nights.org, who I have the pleasure of recently joining as part of the Ambient-Nights Mixer Family (ANMF). Ambient-Nights was the site that got me hooked on Ambient music since I discovered it in 2007. The quality of their mixes is really extraordinary, and they have a body of work that will sure take some time to go through, but the experience will be just as rewarding.
I also want to highlight the work of the other current member of ANMF, Northenstar. His two mix series, Stella Septentrionalis and Amoris et Lucis, include some of the finest Ambient mixing I have ever heard (Amoris et Lucis 1 is my current favorite). Truly inspirational work.
- Another Green World – Stream of Consciousness
- Marconi Union – Weightless
- Andrew Lahiff – Deserted
- J Butler – Grey
- An Imaginal Space – Cloudscape Timelapse 10.06.15 (Loop 16.05.15)
- Jonson – From the Outside Part Two
- Cliff Martinez – My Name On A Car (“Drive” Soundtrack)
- Bing Satellites – 19 February 2012 part 2
- Michael Stearns – Procession (Sacred Ceremony) (DJ Seroton Edit)
- Martin Kennedy – Little Desert Ambient
- Ben Woods – Together Standing
- Pete Namlook & Dr. Atmo – Trip From Mars (Excerpt)
- Eluvium – Show Us Our Homes
- Alio Die – Spring Music
- Secede – Shrine
Jan 22 2016
Rank #5: Drifter (Vol 7) – with Tonepoet
Genres: Ambient, Drone, New Age
We’ve given this mix the title of “As the World Comes into Focus”. It’s essentially an exploration of our inner senses as we drift in and out of consciousness. You may recognize this feeling from a time when you drifted off to sleep and then brought back somehow to faint awakening, only to drift back afterwards into a peaceful and restful sleep.
If you enjoyed this mix and the last, be sure to check out the rest of the Drifter Ambient mix series. Also, don’t forget to check out and follow Tonepoet. He’s been creating and mixing Ambient music for a long time and I’m sure you’ll like many of his earlier releases. You may find him on:
Part 1: Tonepoet
- Woob – Stranger Air (Error #1) – Repurpose
- Umber – Öpik-Oort
- Aural Method – As I Awoke…
- Pseudosphère – Aperception III
- Monk By The Sea – Lighthouse
- Good Weather For An Airstrike – Awaiting Your Arrival
- Ben Lovett – Surrender (Sun Don’t Shine Soundtrack)
- Tonepoet – Within My Mind An Ocean Appears
- Tonepoet – Things Left Unsaid
- Umber feat. Good Weather For An Airstrike – Sunshine Youth
- Brambles – To Speak Of Solitude
Part 2: DJ Seroton
- Aaron Zigman – Anna On The Floor (My Sister’s Keeper Soundtrack)
- Bing Satellites – Soothing Image 46
- Bing Satellites – Dark Clouds
- Adham Shaikh & Tim Floyd – Portals (Part II)
- Jonson – Reason of Senses
- Otto A Totland – Seveen
- Stars Of The Lid – I Will Surround You
- Ben Woods – The Brightest Lights in the Darkest Skies
Aug 07 2015