Rank #1: Episode #1 - The Leadership and Learning Podcast; Introduction and Overview
The host of the Leadership and Learning Podcast, Randy Goruk provides a brief introduction and overview of this new professional development resource for the building material industry. He explains, who the podcast is intended for and what listeners can expect on future episodes.
Rank #2: Episode #2 - Tom Corrick - CEO Boise Cascade, Talks Leadership
Tom Corrick, CEO of Boise Cascade talks leadership with host Randy Goruk.
In this candid conversation Tom shares:
- What leadership is and what effective leaders do.
- The four habits that get in the way of providing exceptional leadership.
- The best leaders are intentional.
- The importance for leaders to have a diverse background.
- Three additional leadership tips every leader should follow to be successful.
Rank #3: Episode #3 - Leadership Career Advice from John K Smith, CEO PLM
John K Smith, CEO of Pennsylvania Lumbermens Mutual Insurance Company talks leadership with host Randy Goruk.
In this conversation, John shares his advice for anyone wanting to excel at providing leadership in any business.
Based on his own leadership journey, John offers ten practical pieces of advice that are essential to shaping your leadership career.
As an added bonus, there are a number of additional nuggets woven throughout the conversation that will be helpful to all levels of leaders.
Rank #4: Episode #4 - Ron Schumacher, CEO Arrow Building Center Talks Leadership
Ron Schumacher, CEO of Arrow Building Center talks leadership with host Randy Goruk.
In this conversation Ron shares:
- The top leadership characteristics of sales managers.
- The top leadership characteristics of senior leaders.
- Overcoming the hurdles when transitioning to greater responsibility.
- His thoughts on the importance of formally planning your business to be better than ‘good enough’.
- Techniques for getting people on board with your long-range plan.
- Creating an environment where people want to stay.
Rank #5: Episode #5 - Hardy Wentzel, CEO Structurlam Mass Timber Corporation Talks Leadership with Host Randy Goruk
In this conversation Hardy shares:
- His leadership journey across Canada, in the United states, Germany, Belgium and the UK, where he had to adapt to different cultures, different languages, and building traditions.
- He has been successful in tackling a range of businesses; commodities to emerging technologies with varying value propositions.
- How various mentors were important and valuable along the way to help him be successful in these different market segments.
- The valuable leadership traits he had to develop to be successful.
- Examples of the companies who have done a great job of bringing innovation to the building products industry.
- The 9 - important key components you should look for in new team members.
- How to expand the workforce by leveraging diversity.
- How to deal with a situation of someone on the team resisting change.
Rank #6: Episode #6 - Kirk Grundahl, Executive Director of the Structural Building Components Association and the President of Qualtim, Inc.,
Kirk Grundahl, a professional engineer, the Executive Director of the Structural Building Components Association (SBCA) and the President of Qualtim, Inc., SBCA’s contract management firm, shares insights into ‘Making Relationships Work’ with host Randy Goruk.
In this conversation, Kirk:
- Describes the three diverse types of business relationships he is challenged with.
- Describes the signs he looks for in a healthy relationship in each of the three different groups he mentions.
- Explains the top challenges to making these relationships work and describes a few techniques to overcome each of these challenges.
- Addresses the solutions to fixing a relationship gone bad.
- Provides a simple solution for helping two people resolve a conflict.
- Provides a practical suggestion on how to help someone who wants to get out of a relationship with a supplier or vendor, but they’re not sure how.
- Provides two powerful suggestions on how to maximize your value and time in the industry.
Rank #7: Episode #7 - Jim Davis, President and CEO of Barrons Enterprises, Inc. The Visionary Leader
Jim Davis, President and CEO of Barrons Enterprises, Inc. talks with host Randy Goruk about how 'spectacular companies' in the building material industry are typically led by a 'Visionary Leader'. Citing his personal leadership experiences Jim, compares different leader styles and describes what it takes to become a 'visionary leader'.
Jim's leadership story is quite incredible. His journey started as a janitor with Barrons and has landed him in his current role as a major shareholder, President and CEO of the company. His spectacular rise revolves around his ability to be the 'visionary leader' he talks about.
Rank #8: Episode #8 - Three Strategies for Leaders to Develop Other Leaders
If you believe an important role of a leader is to develop other leaders, you’ll want to listen to this episode. In under seven minutes, host Randy Goruk shares three strategies for leaders to develop other leaders.
He describes the magic of inclusion, provides five suggestions for inspiring those with self-limiting beliefs and how to strengthen your weakest link.
Rank #9: Episode #9 - Healthy Holiday Tips
We are about to enter the Holiday Season where we have many reasons to celebrate. The celebration can be fun and enjoyable. If we’re not careful, the celebration can be hard on our health.
This episode features two nutritional experts who offer us a number of reasonable and practical tips on staying healthy throughout the Holiday season.
In this episode learn:
- Techniques for reducing stress during the Holidays.
- Exercise tips when you have no time to exercise.
- The importance of portion control and how to measure it.
- The Superfoods of the Holidays.
- Valuable lessons about liver and kidney health.
- Drinks to run away from.
- How to determine if you are sleeping enough.
- And so much more
Rank #10: Episode #10 – Jim Sobeck
In addition to being CEO of New South Construction Supply, Jim Sobeck has over 40 years of experience in the industry and shares much of it in his book, The Real Business 101 – Lessons from the Trenches.
In this conversation with host Randy Goruk about his book, Jim shares a number of leadership lessons for all levels of leaders.
In this episode you will learn:
- One of the most important things to look for when hiring someone.
- What to do when you make a hiring mistake.
- How to successfully hire and develop millennials.
- The actions to take to get ahead in your company and your career.
- Why what you do is more important than what you say.
- Mistakes to avoid when trying to grow your business.
- Tips to become more personally productive.