Rank #3: Episode 27: Negative a Whole Bunch
Mark gets a lot of flying in preparation for his checkride, Chris learns to spin, and Brad takes on some ice.
- Mark has been getting some miles. He is about ready for the final stage check
- Lot's of talk about his check ride preparation
- Discussion of METAR Codes
- Haboob Metar: Referenced in Episode 15
- Glider Pilot Arrested
- Chris gets spin Training
- Chris flys into Phoenix Sky Harbor
- Airpigz Udvar-Hazy Meetup: Pictures
- Brad get a taste of flying in icing conditions: Pictures
May 05 2013
Rank #4: Episode 29: The Difference is Like Night and Day
Chris goes to St. Maarten, John finally makes it to SUN'n'FUN, and Mark renews his Medical.
- Open Airplane is Now live
- Chris at St. Maarten: Chris' Pics from the Beach
- John finally Makes it to Sun'n'Fun
- Mark Goes Flying and renews his Medical. Medical forms are now online only.
- Mark has a nice currency flight with his daughter.
- Chris Can't Stop Flying
- Flight to Payson with Neil
- Night flight with his friend.
- Watched a car race from the air.
- John Went to Pilotday 2013
- Wonderful family day where the Smithsonian Udvar-Hazy Center flys in planes and has a bunch of activities for all ages.
- More information about the day @ BecomeAPilot.si.edu.
- Pictures from #Pilotday13
- John Went Flying; Not PIC, but went with a friend.
- Learned about weather and decision making.
- Second flight with friend was much better and resulted in a BWI transition. Pics
- Ron Klutts: Giving Brad the bay tour in a 172.
- Mike Howard: Podcaster Chris met at St. Maarten. His Podcast
- Cory Jones: For taking John up on some flights.
- David Abbey and his Mom: For the fun times at #pilotday13
Jul 23 2013
Rank #6: Episode 2: First Flights, a Solo, and a Line Up and Wait
In this episode, John, Chris, and Mark return to talk about their first flights. We also discuss how we feel about radio communication. Finally, John has his first Solo!
Audio from John's first solo can be found at http://podcast.inthepatternpodcast.com/Cockpit_Audio/John
Pictures of the Cessna 140: http://picasaweb.google.com/101867191272847636708/Cessna14002?authkey=Gv1sRgCNSAv_Kznoy8OA&feat=directlink
- John: CFI Tony and CFI Matt, #OSH10 crew, Twitter folks, other aviation podcasters, and CFI Stew.
- Chris: Everyone who listened last week and twitter folks.
- Mark: CFI Greg, Twitter folks, Nate (denverpilot), Dave (Daveflys), and other aviation podcasters.
Oct 28 2010
Rank #7: Episode 14: Chris Passes The Written!
Chris passes his written! Finally.
N354MA the Plane Chris flys has issues. AC broke one week and the the ammeter boke the next...Delays delays delays
Brads flying more IFR traing and got some actual IMC in
Takes another flight and uses the pesky autopilt and it decides to act up.
Mark gets a nice Fathers Day giftcand uses it on his next flight.
John...well John watched a few YouTube videos of some planes.
- Chris' Flight to Payson: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBzvyGn2Qos, http://picasaweb.google.com/chris.holub/FlightToPaysonForBreakfast
- Mark's Flight Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkpNJBgZyWE&feature=channel_video_title
Jul 17 2011
Rank #8: Episode 9: One Crazy Night, A Solo Cross Country, and the FAA Written
In this episode we discuss an interesting, eventful, learning opportunity John had on a night cross country. Chris does some more cross countries by himself, and Mark passes the FAA written and gets back in the saddle.
Mar 06 2011
Rank #9: Episode 12: A New Co-Host Joins the Crew
In this episode we welcome Brad Koehn, a new co-host who is currently training for his instrument rating. We also listen to Chris procrastinate on his FAA written and get some hood work in. Lastly, Mark and John dream of taking to the skies. All this and more in this very special episode of In The Pattern Podcast.
- Beech 18 on floats
- Flight humor list
Jun 08 2011
Rank #10: Episode 7 Bravo: The Checkride
Part 2 of our great discussion with Doug Hindman and Mark Pollard about the Private Pilot Checkride. During this segment, we discuss general checkride topics and John asks a few questions he has about his upcoming checkride.
Where you can find Doug and Mark
Jan 19 2011
Rank #11: EAA AirVenture 2013: BaconCast with Ron Klutts
Aug 11 2013
Rank #12: Episode 10: Cross Countries and the Dog Bag
In this episode, Mark starts his cross country training, Chris flies his tail off, and John takes up his Dad for his first flight. Plus, a we share a few in flight oops stories. Better hold on to your lunch, cause it's time to go In The Pattern.
Apr 03 2011
Rank #13: EAA Airventure 2013: Interview with Sam and Nick Moore
Chris takes a few minutes to talk to Sam and Nick Moore (@AA1Flyer) about their experiences at Oshkosh for the 29 years Sam has been coming to the show.
Aug 08 2013
Rank #14: EAA AirVenture 2013: Quickcast 1
Aug 01 2013
Rank #15: EAA AirVenture 2013: BaconCast with Paul Harrop
Aug 12 2013
Rank #16: Episode 6 Alpha: A Whole Lot of Everything
In this episode the gang returns, and boy do we have a lot to talk about. So much in fact, this is a two part episode. So here in episode 6 alpha, we talk about what we have done the past few weeks, and well, we ran out of time!
Stay tuned for episode 6 bravo in the next week or so as we finish up our long and overdue discussion.
Jan 06 2011
Rank #17: Episode 5: A Few Weeks of Nothing
After a few weeks off, the gang is back to discuss the FAA Written Exam and Pre-Solo Test. We discuss where we are in our studies, what test prep aides we use, and also what to expect on the pre-solo written test. Finally, John has a question about wheel pants and pre-flight.
- Our Listeners
- Airplanista Aviation Magazine: http://Airplanista.com, or @Airplanista on Twitter.
- Pilot Finance
- CFI Usman
- The Pilots Journey Podcast: http://pilotsjourneypodcast.com
Dec 08 2010
Rank #18: Episode 7 Alpha: Checkrides and Significant Others
We did it again, another two parter. This time, we have two special guests, Doug Hindman from the Mile High Flyers and Mark Pollard from Inverted Cast, who join us to discuss the Private Pilot checkride. We also have a good discussion on how our significant others feel about our flying money pit. Plus, we talk about judging your passengers and convincing them flying is safe so they have an enjoyable flight.
Stay tuned for Episode 7 Bravo which features a lot more checkride talk as we help John feel a little better about his upcoming check ride.
Jan 19 2011
Rank #19: Episode 3: Museums and Maneuvers
In this episode, the gang talks about local museums and their initial thoughts on doing the maneuvers for the private pilot certificate. They discuss thoughts and reactions to learning slow flight, stalls, ground reference maneuvers, and steep turns. Finally, Mark talks about his first solo!
Audio from Mark's Solo: http://podcast.InThePatternPodcast.com/Cockpit_Audio/Mark
Pictures from John's trip to Fantasy of Flight: http://picasaweb.google.com/jay12701/FantasyOfFlight#
Chris' YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/cholubaz
- Mark: Family, Wife, Twitter Followers for support
- Chris: CFI Jackie, Twitter Followers @ChrisMuncy and @VeryJR
- John: CFI Usman
Nov 10 2010