Rank #1: Episode 25: Billy Corgan - From Smashing Pumpkins to Crushing 2017
Known as the face of the wildly successful Smashing Pumpkins, Billy Corgan, shares stories and ideas you've likely never heard. Whether you're a fan or not, this conversation will get you thinking. It's one of my favorite conversations yet. In effort to seek inspiration to write new music, Billy is spending 30 days on the road traveling in an RV to visit small towns and connect with people who see the world just a little bit differently.
- Billy shares a profound Why Not Now? moment when he was 25 years old. (This had me in tears.)
- What happened the morning Billy wrote "Today" which became one of his biggest hits.
- The ironic impact Nirvana and Pearl Jam had on Billy's personal and professional trajectory.
- What led up to a moment when Billy unlocked his own creative genius and resulted in a decade-long creative "dizzying" run.
- Billy's thoughts on mind over mastery and the importance of perspective.
- The #ThirtyDays project. What it is and why Billy set out to travel the country for 30 days in an RV.
- What Billy considers to be the measure of true spirituality.
- Billy's literal experience of "rockstar" happiness. One of the three components of happiness according to scientists. How it evolved to a more sustainable happiness and sense of purpose.
- Billy's creative process. How he engineers an environment that fosters a creative state.
- How Billy views empathy and the most effective way to become empathetic.
- Billy shares his current Why Not Now? It will take place when he turns 50 years old on March 17. 2017.
- Billy's favorite book.
- What keeps Billy up at night?
- Pirates or Ninjas? Who is tougher according to Billy.
- What advice Billy would give to his younger self.
- What Billy would say to someone who might be experiencing a very dark moment of despair, similar to what he went through 25 years ago. (His Why Not Now? moment mentioned at the beginning of the show.)
Feb 08 2017
Rank #2: Episode 45: Mel Robbins - The 5-Second Rule
Mel Robbins is an expert on leadership and defeating doubt. She’s a thought-leader on thinking less and taking more action. Mel is an Award-Winning CNN Commentator, Best-Selling Author, and Motivational Powerhouse. She shows us how counting down from five can help you tackle your Why Not Now? and literally change your life in five seconds.
- Mel shares exactly when her Why Not Now? moment hit as she sat in the audience at an Oprah Winfrey event.
- How changing career paths or “swim lanes” has worked for Mel as she navigated from being a litigator to a handful of other professions.
- Using your own internal “gauge” as your guide for what to do and who to spend time with.
- What is the 5-second rule? How to apply the rule.
- We discuss the power of listening to your inner wisdom and exactly how to do this.
- Mel’s very new, never shared before, “Why Not Now?” moment.
Jul 06 2017
Rank #3: Episode 90: Martha Beck - How To Do What You Love, With The People You Love, In The Places You Love
Jul 16 2018
Rank #4: Episode 80: Bryan Danielson - How to Turn a No into a Yes
Bryan Danielson, also known as Daniel Bryan, is a wildly popular WWE pro wrestler who has held the World Heavyweight Champion title. He has one of the most talked-about wrestling stories in recent history. In 2016 he was forced to retire due to concussion-related injuries but due to his “Why Not Now?” he's now back in the ring. We talk about how this all happened. How he was able to get cleared to wrestle again, what he has learned about the hot topic of concussions and how he navigated conversations with his family about wrestling again.
In this episode, we get to know more about the person behind the personality. Bryan gives us a glimpse into areas of his life that you don’t see on TV. Speaking of TV, you also might know of Bryan from the reality show, Total Bellas. His wife is WWE's Brie Bella. In this episode, Bryan talks about everything from living in his car during his early days of wrestling to what is important to him outside of wrestling, how he scored on his personality test compared to other WWE superstar wrestlers and how many books he reads a year. It’s not everyday I interview a WWE star and I’m glad I got a chance to speak with Bryan.Follow Bryan Danielson on Instagram & Twitter.
May 01 2018
Rank #5: Episode 61: Jessica Alba - Honest Conversation About Life, Business & Fame
Actress, Entrepreneur and Mom, Jessica Alba, gets fiercely honest and shares a personal Why Not Now? that she's going through now. She's a Golden Globe nominated actress and founder of The Honest Company which has been valued at more than $1 billion. In this episode she shares thoughts on parenting, growing a business, believing in herself, when to make things happen vs. let them happen, her approach to social media and much more.
Dec 13 2017
Rank #6: Episode 120 : Annie F. Downs - You Have An Idea, But Don’t Know Where To Start - 3 Simple Steps
Annie F. Downs is a best-selling author, speaker & podcaster. She is also hilarious! Annie has written 10 books & has that girl-next-door persona so within moments you feel like you've been friends forever. In this episode we discover 3 steps that Annie takes (and so can you!) when she starts working on a new idea & doesn’t know where to begin. Annie also talks through the right way to ask for help & why you should never use the phrase “Can I pick you brain?”. We also discuss moving to a new city, map freedom, developing a healthy relationship with time & why you shouldn’t wait for anyone to inspire you.
Jan 27 2019
Rank #7: Episode 26: Tony Robbins - Money, Empathy & Being Unshakable
More than 50 million people in 100 countries have been empowered by Tony Robbins. He's a New Times bestselling author, philanthropist and an intense force of nature. We talk about money, politics, leadership, empathy, pirates & ninjas and how Tony keeps his mind healthy. Tony explains how we can live in a state of now.
- Tony shares a dark Why Not Now? moment from his childhood that changed his life trajectory.
- How Tony can walk into a situation with zero expertise in a certain area and put himself in a state of certainty.
- How not giving yourself an "out" is a strategy. "If you want to own the island, burn your boats."
- I confess my Why Not Now? which involves financial planning.
- Tony talks about his new book, Unshakable. Why he wrote it, who he wrote it for and how it differs from others.
- We discuss millennial's resistance to investing in the stock market and it's long-term effects.
- How we can create empathy during a time of such divide.
- Tony's lunch with George W. Bush and their discussion around current politics.
- Trump's communication style.
- Tony tells us about a specific time when he strongly disagreed with President Obama in a public setting.
- How Tony Robbins keeps his mind healthy.
- Pirates or Ninjas, who is tougher according to Tony Robbins?
- What it means to live in a state of NOW and how we can achieve this.
Feb 15 2017
Rank #8: Episode 70: Danika Brysha - Living in Surplus. From 6-figure Debt to Abundance in All Categories
Danika Brysha is a plus-size model, entrepreneur and icon for taking action. Her career was thriving as a plus-size model until she began to lose weight. She went from being on top earning a healthy six figures a year to getting a pink-slip on her door, going into six-figure debt and living in her parent’s garage. She started a meal-delivery business from nothing and began to work her way back. Recently Danika wrote a check to pay off the final portion of her debt and she’s thriving.
In this episode she talks through what happened the moment she decided to take action and shift from having debt-centric mindset to a mindset of abundance. Danika shares the literal step she took. It’s brilliant and powerful. After doing this one thing, the rest began to fall into place.
Feb 20 2018
Rank #9: Episode 11: Chris Sacca - Super Angel & Fierce Shark
Oct 26 2016
Rank #10: Episode 100: Amy Jo Martin Gets Real And Raw - Her Top 10 Lessons Learned
In the 100th episode of the Why Not Now? Show, host Amy Jo Martin gets real and raw. Amy Jo shares how one of the darkest periods in her life led her to exiting her company, how she discovered her true purpose and why she started the podcast. Amy Jo also shares the Top 10 lessons she's learned from her guests, audience and community.
You may have also noticed we have a new look! Thank you for voting on the new album cover art for the podcast. You can see the new album art on our brand new Instagram page - @WhyNotNow.
Lastly, you can now join other Why Notters? on their journey from idea to action, in our new Why Not Now? Private Facebook Group. It's an exclusive place for people who listen to this podcast, for people who enjoy taking action on ideas and it's quite the community. We help one another, we hold each other accountable and share tips and tricks. So look for the Why Not Now? private Facebook group on Facebook. Just type in the search area on Facebook - "Why Not Now? Private Group", request to become a member and we'll let you in.
Sep 23 2018
Rank #11: Episode 103: Jen Sincero - How To Be A Badass At Life and Money
Jen Sincero is quite literally a badass. Jen is the New York Times bestselling author of the series called "You Are a Badass" and she is a voice of authority in this area for sure. Jen went from living in her garage to becoming rich and in this episode she talks about how she did it, why, and the intention behind her complete transformation. We also talk about that point that we just get sick of putting something off or we get sick and tired of being sick and tired. If you're in that space and place in any area of your life right now, the good news is, it means you're probably ready for change. This episode will definitely help you get some inertia to take action.
Oct 14 2018
Rank #12: Episode 143: Heather Allen - A 7 Figure Income From Instagram (No Website)
Heather Allen is the founder of Kaleidacuts. Heather used to be a school teacher, then started a greeting card company. That company didn't work out as she had planned, but her second company - Kaleidacuts - is thriving. She is living where her passion, purpose & skill collide.
In this episode Heather talks through running a 7-figure company without a website, building a loyal and engaged community, following and honoring your internal compass, owning up to your mistakes and learning from them, designing what makes you happy and much more.
Jul 14 2019
Rank #13: Episode 119: Jen Rubio - Why You Should Follow Your Curiosity
Today's guest, Jen Rubio, followed her curiosity all the way through to a 700 million dollar company. Jen is the co-founder of Away Travel, which is one of the highest funded female backed startups to ever exist. In this episode Jen discusses following your curiosity through until the end, the biggest misconception about entrepreneurship, where she see’s influencer marketing heading, Away’s own storytelling strategy and more. Jen is proof that if you let your curiosity lead you, the rewards can be life changing.
Jan 20 2019
Rank #14: Episode 13: Andy Puddicombe - The Ultimate 10-Minute Life Hack
Andy is the co-Founder and voice of the fast-growing mediation app that I use daily called Headspace. The former Buddhist monk who also has a degree in circus arts now has more than 10 million users listening to voice through guided meditation. Whether you've never meditated or you practice daily, I think you'll find Andy's approach refreshing, valuable and unmatched. He has a very real-life and innovative way of helping others become more mindful.
- Why Andy has an unexpected tough time with recalling a Why Not Now? moment.
- We talk through the moment Andy decided he was going to move and train to become a Buddhist monk.
- The correlation between minds wandering and unhappiness.
- The impact meditation has on kids and the new Headspace for Kids offering
- The difference between exercise and meditation.
- The difference between praying and meditating.
- What Andy would tell his younger self.
Book & Websites mentioned:
Nov 09 2016
Rank #15: Episode 128: Molly Bloom - Your Story As A Monetizable Asset
Molly Bloom’s story is like no other. She has experienced the highest of high’s & the lowest of lows, but Molly’s resilience is second to none. Molly talks through realizing that by leveraging & marketing her unique story, she could reinvent her life for the better. Molly also shares her advice to people who have failed & need to come back stronger, as well as the antidote to anxiety when things don’t work out & some of the best advice on networking & building community you're ever likely to hear.
Mar 24 2019
Rank #16: Episode 92: Creative Quest - The Roadmap For Your Creative Quest (with Bryan Danielson)
We really put ourselves out there when we share creative ideas and our creative work. The topic of creativity can often times feel heady and wishy washy, because everyone has their own definition of creativity. In this episode we talk through the more tangible aspects of creativity like what to do when you're in a rut or uninspired, the literal tricks for how to keep fresh eyes and change things up, plus unique ways to look at, and deal with, success and failure. Bryan Danielson and I review the book “Creative Quest” By Questlove. It was this month's pick for the Why Not Now? Read A Book Club.
If you haven't read “Creative Quest”, no sweat. You actually don't need to have because Brian and I share all of the highlights and key takeaways, so consider this your cliff notes.
Jul 30 2018
Rank #17: Episode 41: Chris Burch - Curiosity Fuels Creativity
Co-founder of Tory Burch LLC, founder & CEO Burch Creative Capital, a private investment company. Chris has also partnered with Ellen DeGeneres to create her ED by Ellen fashion and home goods brand. He's is a creative wizard. Now a billionaire, Chris shares his life-long entrepreneurial journey and some advice for people who pitch him their ideas. We talk about his areas of focus for future investments and industries that have caught his eye.
- Chris shares a Why Not Now? moment that shaped his career.
- Why Chris views fear as a positive thing when evaluating entrepreneurs.
- How getting straight F's in grade school and listening to talk radio at night led to his current path.
- The very beginning of Tory Burch LLC.
- Pet peeves Chris has for people who are pitching him to invest in their companies.
- What it's like to collaborate with Ellen DeGeneres.
- How Chris keeps his mind healthy.
- Something Chris has been thinking about and now he's asking himself, “Why Not Now?”
- What Chris is listening to right now.
- What keeps Chris up at night?
- Pirates or Ninjas, who’s tougher in Chris's opinion?
- What advice Chris would give to his younger self.
May 31 2017
Rank #18: Episode 153: Tonya Dalton - Make Your Ideal Day Your Every Day
Tonya Dalton is the CEO of inkWELL Press and a productivity expert. Prior to inkWELL, Tonya was running a successful company, but it didn’t light her up. Instead of sticking with safe, she decided to make a change and embrace the unknown.
Tonya talks through how she found where her passion, purpose and skill collided and how by investing in herself she has been able to build her ideal day. She also shares her 4 step process of how you can build your own ideal day, taking the time to uncover what is important to you regardless of what anyone else thinks, switching your to-do list for a priority list, what to expect from her new book “The Joy Of Missing Out” and more.
Sep 21 2019
Rank #19: Episode 134: Kat Cole - Building Your No Muscle
Kat Cole is the COO and President of Focus Brands, North America. After a string of career catapults at an early age working for Hooters, Kat dropped out of college as a 20 year old. Prior to her current role she was the Executive Vice President of Hooters & President of Cinnabon. In addition, she has since gone on to receive her MBA.
In this episode Kat talks through her three part approach to saying yes and no without compromising your values. She also shares why truth is the ultimate leadership mirror, putting your ego aside to focus on customer experience, tactics you can use when you receive criticism and the importance of building trust.
May 05 2019
Rank #20: Episode 132: Amy Jo Martin - I’m a Mom! (3 Months Early) Labor On a Layover
Apr 21 2019