Rank #1: Episode 18: Not Content with Content
Kristina Halvorson, founder of Brain Traffic and Confab: the Content Strategy Conference joins us to talk about content, and strategy, and why some people continue to be wrong on the internet. Also, what’s up with supervillain lairs?
Sep 11 2019
Rank #2: Episode 4: People Are the Problem
We sat down with Dan Brown to talk about the joy and pain of facilitation, issues with various types of maps, and why designers have to get comfortable talking to people. Dan is a titan of Information Architecture, co-founder of EightShapes, and the author of several useful books and tools for doing better design work. Apologies to Boston.
EPISODE LINKSDan Brown
EightShapes Twitter Medium
Information Architecture Lenses Twitter Medium
Practical Design Discovery
California Three States Initiative
Wikipedia Center Centre Medium
Jun 28 2018
Rank #3: Episode 3: The Learning Loop
P.S. Amy Jo has a podcast!
Jun 15 2018
Rank #4: Episode 16: Ruined by Design
May 01 2019
Rank #5: Episode 5: Design and The Triple Storyline
While we weren’t paying attention, software ate the world and barfed up a hellscape. By taking a broader set of perspectives, designers can work with informed intention to create ethical and profitable systems.
Jul 27 2018
Rank #6: Episode 6: Public Interest
Scratch a follower of Ayn Rand and you’ll find someone who looks to the government for help in a hurricane. Pragmatic design leader and public sector champion Cyd Harrell joins us to talk about the practice of designing systems for citizens.
- Space Camp
- The Legacy Museum & The National Memorial for Peace and Justice
- Why Disney World Has Its Own Government
- Get Into Government: An Insider's Tips for Breaking In
- California Government Operations Agency
- Web Standards and Design System for California Government
- U.S. Web Design System
- Code for America Brigade Network
- Tech for Campaigns
- Hatch Act of 1939, An Act to Prevent Pernicious Political Activities
- Slow Ideas
Aug 17 2018
Rank #7: Episode 12: What’s Up With The Web?
We sit down with the legendary Jen Simmons, currently Designer and Developer Advocate at Mozilla, to take stock of the web in 2019. Design, technology, platforms, ethics, operations, remix culture, CSS. It’s all in there.
- Jen Simmons
- Jen Simmons on Twitter
- The Web Ahead
- CSS Grid Inspector
- Say hello, new logo | The Official Slack Blog
- The Experimental Layout Lab
- Cut the Bias | A Mule Workshop
- The Anatomy of Change | What we’ve learned from our own gender bias workshop
- The Little Book of Common Sense Investing
- In Praise of Idleness by Bertrand Russell
- Layout Land
- This is Marketing | Seth’s Blog
- Everything You Know About Web Design Just Changed by Jen Simmons
Feb 08 2019
Rank #8: Episode 17: Design is the Solution?
Design pioneer, entrepreneur, author, and longtime friend of Mule Nathan Shedroff joins us to talk about innovation, sustainability, and the Cats trailer. Nathan co-founded one of the first web services firms ever, went on to create the ground-breaking Design MBA program at California College of the Arts (CCA), and is now executive director of Seed Vault Ltd, building an independent, trusted bot economy on the blockchain.
- Nathan on Twitter
- Make It So: Interaction Design Lessons from Science Fiction
- Cats (2019 film)
- Jupiter Ascending
- The US Navy will replace its touchscreen controls with mechanical ones on its destroyers
- Secrets of the Dead | World War Speed
- Banned TED Talk: Nick Hanauer "Rich people don't create jobs”
- Business Today Needs Deanna Troi
- Hot desking
- Design is the Solution
Aug 22 2019
Rank #9: Episode 7: Towards Civic Futures
Is the problem with systems design that we’ve forgotten how to make good compromises? Strategic designer and co-founder of Dash Marshall Bryan Boyer talks about his work thinking about the future from the vantage point of Detroit and formerly, Finland.
- Dash Marshall
- Civic Futures: Notes on Dash Marshall’s work at the intersection of architecture, technology, and society
- HDL Blog - Helsinki Design Lab
- Construction of Michigan's tallest building begins with underground demolition
- Six Powerful insights from the creative shape shifter, R. Buckminster Fuller
- Richard Buckminster Fuller, Furthering Humanity
Sep 21 2018
Rank #10: Episode 9: Empathy for the Devil
Stephanie Lucas, Senior UX Designer at LinkedIn joins us to share how she incorporated principles from the Mule ethics workshop into her practice. Inspired by a comment from another participant, Stephanie created a Red Team/Blue Team workshop to uncover how bad actors might wreak havoc on the platform. We talk about using an ethical framework to make better choices.
- Stephanie Lucas - Senior UX Designer, Member Trust, Privacy, and Help
- What Are“Ethics in Design”?
- Mule Workshop :: Design Ethics
- A Designer’s Code of Ethics Posters
- Madame Bovary
- HBO | Silicon Valley
- Black Mirror
- BoJack Horseman
- One of Us
- The Well
- Vice News | We posed as 100 Senators to run ads on Facebook. Facebook approved all of them.
- The Matrix
Nov 16 2018