Rank #1: On-Ice Conditioning and a Bunch of Other Stuff with Mike Boyle
On the 58th episode of the Hockey Strength Podcast, Mike Boyle joins us to talk about on-ice conditioning, consistency in training, BU in the old days, creating buy-in, and what it takes to be in the NHL.
Aug 28 2017
Rank #2: Micro-planning the Off Season and Isometric Strength with Anthony Donskov
Today Anthony Donskov, head coach at Donskov Strength and Conditioning in Worthington, OH discusses his presentation for the upcoming NSCA Training for Hockey Clinic. Anthony will be doing both a lecture and a hands-on presentation at the clinic, both on slightly different topics.
In his lecture, Coach Donskov will be addressing micro-planning considerations for the off season, and telling us how he is able to challenge athletes in a team setting, and his most advanced athletes throughout the off season.
In the hands-on session, he will be teaching the value and application of isometric training throughout the season with athletes of different ages and levels.
Can't wait to hear more from Coach Donskov at the clinic. Enjoy this conversation!
May 29 2018
Rank #3: Game Day Nutrition with Dan Garner
On Episode 68 of the Hockey Strength Podcast, we chat with Dan Garner, head coach at HockeyTraining.com. Coach Garner's upcoming presentation for the NSCA's Training for Hockey Clinic, Maximizing Hockey Perfornance through Game Day Nutrition.
Throughout this episode, we touch on
- the 4 phases of game day nutrition
- is nutrient timing really that important?
- the most underappreciated aspects of hockey nutrition today
If you'd like to learn more about Coach Garner, check out HockeyTraining.com. You can also connect with him on Facebook (Hockey Training) and Instagram @hockeytrainingtips
May 22 2018
Rank #4: Making Motivation with Mike Stacey
Find out the crucial pieces of the motivation puzzle, some barriers that affect your ability to motivate, and how to battle burnout with our guest, Sport Psychologist of the Flint Firebirds, Mike Stacey.
Aug 09 2017
Rank #5: The Best Clinic Yet? with Scott Caulfield
On Episode 64 ot the Hockey Strength Podcast, we are joined by Scott Caulfield, head coach at the NSCA and the man behind the NSCA's Training for Hockey Clinic.
We are going to catch up with Coach Caulfield about a few things, including...
- Who will be presenting at this year's clinc?
- How did this clinic come to be?
- Your (two) options for attending the clinic in Colorado Springs
- The REAL value of coming in person (hint: it helps to form some big ideas)
Listen in, and enjoy finding out about the speakers and topics.
When you are ready to book your trip, head to https://www.nsca.com/hockey2018/ and book your spot. Early bird pricing is good until May 24th, but book soon because there is a very real capacity in the conference room at NSCA Headquarters.
Apr 24 2018
Rank #6: Initial Phases of Summer Training with Rich Molin
On Episode 66 of the Hockey Strength Podcast, we sit down with Rich Molin, head strengt coach at Dynamic Fitness Solutions in DelRay Beach, FL.
Rich will be presenting at the 2018 Training for Hockey Clinic in Colorado Springs, June 8th and 9th, and we're excited to check out his presentation on the initial phases of off-season training.
On this episode, Rich talks about
- How to determine where and when to start summer training with players
- Assessing incoming players
- Minimizing injury risk in the first phase of training
- Regaining movement quality
May 18 2018
Rank #7: Breathing and performance with Scotty Livingston
On this episode of the Hockey Strength Podcast I speak with Scotty Livingston, former NHL Strength coach and now owner of Premier Performance in Montreal, Quebec Canada.
We catch up with Scotty about his presentation, Harnessing the Power of Breathing, at this summer's Perform Better Summit in Chicago. We also talk about the evolution of the NHL Strength Coach, and get his thoughts on where the profession will be in 10 years.
Sep 29 2017
Rank #8: Intent with Justin Roethlinshoefer and Devan McConnell
When it comes to monitoring, data collection, and using data to drive and suport decisions when training hockey players, Roethlingshoefer (with Anaheim Ducks affilliate, San Diego Gulls) and McConnell (UMass Lowell) are 2 of the best.
Now they have come together to co-author a newly released book called Intent: A Practical Approach to Applied Sport Science for Athletic Development. It's an essential users guide for any coach looking to use data and other information to help them make decisions about training, nutrition, sleep, and recovery.
On this episode of the Hockey Strength Podcast, I talk with Devan and Justin about:
- How to develop a holistic system of monitoring including nutrition, recovery, and training
- Gold, Silver, and Bronze levels of collecting and analyzing data
- Gaining buy-in from players and coaches
- What's on the horizon for sport science
After you listen to this episode (or before, if you want to have a really good background of what we're talking about, you can read before) pick up a copy of the book here!
Pick one up today and make yourself a better coach!
Feb 08 2018
Rank #9: Developing the X-Factor with Dr Tiffany Jones
On today's episode, I sit down with Dr Tiffany Jones of X-Factor Performance and talk about the importance of improving connection with and the mental skills of your athletes.
Whether you are coaching pro athletes or 9-year-olds, this one in a must-listen. In this episode we will discuss
- the impact technology has on today's athletes
- why we can't just blame the parents
- how thep sychological development today's athletes can be up to 6 years behind their physical development (18 year olds can really be more like 12 year olds!)
- connecting with your athletes by understanding their DISC profile
- the free resources you can use to make yourself a better coach
If you'd like to learn more about Dr Jones' work, head to xfactorperformance.com/ and check it out.
Also mentioned in the show (a few times!) is athleteassessments.com/. Head there and see what they have to offer, from guides to DISC profiles.
Jan 12 2018
Rank #10: Back to PRI with Darryl Nelson
Today on Episode 61 of the Hockey Strength Podcast, Darryl Nelson and I sit down for an in-person chat. Darryl is the strength coach of the National Team Development Program and co-owner of Hockeystrengthandconditioning.com.
On this episode, we cover...
- Thanksgiving break for the NTDP?
- What do they STOP doing in the weight room in-season?
- The use of monitoring with the NTDP players
- Why the NTDP scrapped morning skates
- Darry's experience with his most recent PRI course
- Using PRI in a team setting
It's always fun to talk shop with Darryl, hope you enjoy the conversation.
Dec 04 2017