Rank #1: Ep 247 - The Best Opportunities for Cannabis Investors and Entrepreneurs in 2019
A firefighter out of college, Cody Shirk’s expertise in finance is self-taught.
Today he’s a full-time investor and the founder of Explorer Equity Group (EEG), a global alternative asset manager that works to capitalize on investment opportunities off-the-beaten-path.
With investments in industry household names including Kush Bottles and Regulated Solutions, Cody’s latest non-mainstream investments lie in - you guessed it - cannabis.
In this episode, Cody shares his insights on the future of cannabis and advice for both entrepreneurs and investors looking to break into the industry.
Follow Cody at https://www.explorerequity.com/canna
- Cody’s background in investing and how he came to start Explorer Equity Group and Explorer Partnership
- Ongoing propaganda against cannabis and how the industry is working to improve public perception
- The cannabis businesses Cody has invested in thus far, including Kush Bottles and Regulated Solutions
- What Cody looks for when investing in cannabis businesses and his advice to startups seeking funding
- Cody’s outlook on startup investment and the price of cannabis over the next 1-2 years
- Asia and South America’s developing economies and the exciting investment opportunities within
- Cody’s tips on how entrepreneurs should go about approaching investors as well as ways investors can determine the best entrepreneurs to get behind
To learn more, visit: https://www.explorerequity.com/canna
Jan 13 2019
Rank #2: Ep 235: How Much Profit Is In Cannabis Oil Extraction? Find Out In This Episode
Jonah Barber is the co-founder of MRX Xtractors. Learn how profitable cannabis oil extraction can be and the different business models available to those in the business or entering this business.
Key Takeaways:- From lab testing flower to extraction company - A lot of oil on the market is not good, here’s why - The profit margin on a gram of extracted cannabis oil - Throughput from different extraction machines - The different business models in extraction
Learn more at http://mrxxtractors.com/
Important: What are the five trends disrupting the cannabis industry? Find out with your free cheat sheet at https://www.cannainsider.com/trends
Sep 30 2018
Rank #3: Expert Grower Explains how To Get 3 LBS of Cannabis Per Light - Summer Encore 2 of 3
Ever wonder how to consistent get 3+ pounds of cannabis per light?Our guest today Josh Haupt from Three A Light will tell you how to do just that in an easy step-by-step way.
Key Takeaways: [0:57] – What is Three a Light [1:34] – Josh’s background [2:20] – Josh talks about using cannabis for his epilepsy [4:16] – Josh talks about his book [7:23] – Different lighting used in grows [10:50] – How to find Josh’s book [11:33] – Josh talks about his harvests [13:17] – Josh talks about creating his own nutrients [15:28] – Delivery method for nutrients [16:00] – What is Nutrient Lock [17:21] – What is Schwazzing [19:11] – Creating clones [20:40] – Preventing hot spots in your grows [21:55] – Josh talks about things he sees when consulting [23:27] – Josh talks about greenhouses [25:02] – Pests and diseases [27:30] – Josh discusses the ideal growing media [30:22] – Josh answers some personal development questions [33:56] – Josh talks about the future of the cannabis industry [37:07] – Josh’s contact details
Aug 12 2018
Rank #4: Ep 244 - Activate your Cannabis For Maximum Effect
You are leaving half the potency from your cannabis plant behind when it is not properly activated or decarboxylated. Find out how this simple technique can take your cannabis flower to the next level.
About Today's Guest
Shanel Lindsay is the CEO and founder of Ardent Cannabis. Listen in as Shanel talks about her move from a traditional lawyer to a tech and cannabis entrepreneur.
Shanel is offering CannaInsider listeners $30 off her flagship device the Ardent Nova decarboxylator. Use coupon code Canna30 for $30 off. Learn more here:
Dec 09 2018
Rank #5: How to Hire and Get Hired in the Cannabis Industry - Holiday Encore 1 of 2
Karson Humiston is the founder of Vangst, a multi-state recruiting company focused on the cannabis space. Karson is on the Forbes list of The Top 30 Under 30 entrepreneurs on the rise.
Listen in as Karson describes how to hire the perfect candidate to help your business grow. Karson also lays out how to create a successful career in the cannabis industry and what kind of candidates are getting hired.
Key Takeaways: – How Snoop Dogg’s VC fund invested in Vangst – Common mistakes employers make hiring – The devastating math behind misfiring – How to ensure employees are successful in their new roles – Enticing executives from other industries
Learn more at: https://vangst.com
Important: What are the 5 trends disrupting the cannabis industry right now? Find out with your free report at http://www.cannaInsider.com/trends
Dec 23 2018
Rank #6: Ep 219 - What Are First-Time Visitors to Dispensaries Buying?
In this interview, Ana Hory of Enlucem discusses the data she has collected from interviewing over 1500 customers that have visited dispensaries for the very first time. What do they buy, what gender are they, how old are they? Find out in this interview.
Important: What are the five trends disrupting the cannabis industry? Find out with your free cheat sheet at https://www.cannainsider.com/trends
Apr 29 2018
Rank #7: How Terpenes Radically Change Your Experience Of Cannabis - Encore
Dr. Ethan Russo a neurologist and psychopharmacology researcher. If you are in the cannabis industry or looking to be, this episode will help you to understand the most important scientific aspects of the cannabis plant. Specifically, you will learn how terpenes radically change how you experience cannabis. Learn more about the benefits and science of cannabis terpenes.
Key Takeaways:[1:00] – Dr. Ethan Russo’s background [4:26] – Dr. Ethan’s study of cannabis [6:15] – How does cannabis affect migraines [8:35] – Dr. Ethan’s take on why cannabis was put on Earth [9:38] – The endocannabinoid system [12:44] – What is a receptor [13:37] – Differences between indica and sativa [17:56] – Dr. Ethan talks about the interplay between terpenes and cannabinoids [24:11] – What does cannabis smoke do to the lungs [27:01] – Rescue shots if you get “too high” [28:31] – Dr. Ethan discusses the anti-inflammatory properties of cannabis [30:50] – What does cannabis do to the human body [37:18] – How does cannabis help with chemotherapy [39:37] – Dr. Ethan talks about CBD [41:10] – What is THCV [43:43] – Dr. Ethan answers some personal development questions [48:28] – Dr. Ethan Russo’s contact info
Jun 02 2019
Rank #8: Ep 266 - Surprising Data on What's Selling In Dispensaries
Roy Bingham is the CEO of BDS Analytics, which produces the leading market trends reports, analyses, and consumer research in the cannabis industry.
Not only does Roy know EXACTLY what is selling in dispensaries, but he also has definitive data on which cannabis product trends are accelerating and which are fading.
In this interview, Roy shares his insight on where cannabis is heading in the months and years ahead.
Learn more at https://bdsanalytics.com
- Shifts and trends that are beginning to take hold in cannabis
- BDS Analytics’ statistical modeling methodology and how the company projects accurate market data
- Roy’s clientele at BDS Analytics and how they benefit from the company’s market data
- How much CBD is selling and how this currently varies by geography
- New cannabis delivery systems and Roy’s projections for their success
- BDS Analytics’ latest insights on cannabis consumer behavior
- Acceptors and rejectors and why they are important to the cannabis industry
- BDS Analytics’ recent partnership with leading data provider IRI
- How cannabis has evolved over the decades and Roy’s insight on the industry’s future
Jun 10 2019
Rank #9: Ep 228 - Containing Cannabis Odor to Avoid Fines and Scrutiny
Dan Gusafik was recently featured in Rolling Stone magazine because he has developed a specialty in containing the scent of cannabis. It turns out local governments have created extremely harsh fines and can even close down your grow or extraction facility if the odor is too much. Listen in as Dan explains how to prevent odor and optimize your grow and extraction facility.
- How to contain cannabis odor to avoid fines - The trade-offs of using different types of extraction - The cost per square foot for grows and extraction facilities - Why extractors do better than cultivators during gluts - Best practices when designing a grow and extraction facility - Creating two-tier grows
Important:What are the 5 Trends Disrupting The Cannabis Industry? Find out with your free cheat sheet at https://www.cannainsider.com/trends
Jul 15 2018
Rank #10: Ep 234 - Dutch Scientist Creates Interactive Tool To Help you Find your Ideal Cannabis Match
Linda Klumpers Ph.D. is a scientist from The Netherlands. Listen in as she describes how she has built an interactive web-based tool that allows you to find the best cannabis product for your specific need.
Important: What are the five trends disrutping the cannabis industry right now?Find out with your free cheat sheet at https://www.cannainsider.com/trends
Sep 23 2018
Rank #11: Expert Grower Walks You Through His Garden, Reveals His Top Secrets (Encore)
Nick Hice is a master grower. Nick grew up working in his parent's nursery and took his green thumb to the cannabis industry. Listen in as Nick reveals all his insider info to help your grow.
May 27 2018
Rank #12: Ep 251 - Oaksterdam University: The Harvard of Cannabis for Entrepreneurs and Growers
With the worldwide cannabis market projected to hit $32 billion by 2022, better training and information sharing will be paramount for industry newcomers in the years ahead.
Enter Oaksterdam University, widely known as the Harvard of Cannabis.
Since 2007, Oaksterdam has been the forerunner in providing the highest quality training offered in the cannabis industry and the first institution to address the growing needs of the marijuana movement, from patients to regulators. Such a focus has established Oaksterdam University as the first and only cannabis college with a comprehensive curriculum in cannabis business and horticulture.
In this episode, Oaksterdam Executive Chancellor Dale Sky Jones joins us to share everything the university has to offer for those looking to achieve success in the cannabis industry.
Learn more at https://oaksterdamuniversity.com
- Dale’s background in the cannabis industry and how she became executive chancellor of Oaksterdam University
- The crippling federal raid Oaksterdam underwent in 2012 and how Dale took over to ensure the university’s continued success
- Oaksterdam’s extensive curriculum and how the school determines its core programs and electives
- How the university’s student population has expanded beyond the U.S. to 40 different countries since it was founded in 2007
- Oaksterdam’s online versus in-person programs
- How the university utilizes augmented reality in its courses
- Examples of students who have gone on to achieve great success in the cannabis industry following their time at Oaksterdam
- Dale’s advice to those looking to leave behind their current careers and enter the cannabis industry
Feb 10 2019
Rank #13: Expert Cannabis Grower Reveals Secrets and Insights - Holiday Encore 1 of 3
If you are interested in what it takes to be a profitable, cutting-edge, commercial cannabis cultivator, you’ll love this interview with expert grower Nick Hice of Denver Relief.
[0:55] – Nick gives his background in Horticulture. [2:43] – Nick explains what is meant by a flood table. [6:49] – Size of Denver Relief’s facility. [7:14] – The life of a cultivator. [10:20] – Nick explains an ideal yield per square foot. [12:56] – Are there different growing speeds between the different strains? [14:10] – Nicks explains how to take care of cannabis plants. [17:21] – Advantages on using fabric containers. [21:17] – The ways the canopy and roots communicate to optimize a plant. [23:15] – Nick explains NPK. [23:52] – Nick explains common mistakes cultivators make. [27:29] – The transition between indoor growing facilities and greenhouses. [32:29] – Nick talks about optimal temperatures and humidity ranges. [35:08] – Nick explains how CO2 is administered in a cultivation facility. [36:28] – Nick talks about pests and diseases. [44:29] – Nick talks about trends and technology in cultivation. [49:35] – Contact info for Denver Relief and Denver Relief Consulting.
Dec 16 2019
Rank #14: Ep 214 - Cannabis Entrepreneur Drops Everything and Pivots to a Higher Calling
In 2016 Inc Magazine named Aeron Sullivan as one its 30 people Under 30 years old to watch as a promising founder. Indeed Aeron, co-founder of Tradiv was on the move. His online cannabis trading platform was helping 230 growers and dispensaries conduct business.
Then everything changed when Aeron had a profound spiritual experience that caused him to rethink his life, reality, and his future. Listen to Aeron’s gripping and inspiring transition.
Aeron's First Interview on CannaInsider: https://www.cannainsider.com/aeron-sullivan-tradiv/
The Language of Feelings https://www.amazon.com/Language-Feelings-M-D-David-Viscott/dp/0671733362/ Healing the Shame that Binds You https://www.amazon.com/Healing-Shame-Binds-Recovery-Classics/dp/0757303234/
Mar 25 2018
Rank #15: Ep 221 - Edibles Maker Describes New Opportunities in California
Kyle Marshall is the founder of Morsel Bakery in Oakland CA. Listen in as Kyle shares how he deals with the challenges and opportunities in California since adult use became legal on January 1st. Kyle talks about real estate challenges, incubators, building a brand and driving a truck full of trim.
May 13 2018
Rank #16: Ep 236 The Platform That Brings Budtenders, Brands, and Dispensaries Together
Andrew Duffy attended Harvard then went on to work for the most successful hedge fund manager in the world (Ray Dalio). Ready to start his own business Andrew and his co-founder ditched the cold New England winters and moved to Colorado to start Best in Grow, a platform that brings budtenders, brands, and dispensaries together in one place online.
Important:What are the five trends disrupting the cannabis industry? Find out with your free cheat sheet at https://www.cannainsider.com/trends
Oct 07 2018
Rank #17: Ep 254 - Can Craft Cannabis Survive The Big Money Takeover?
Can small-scale craft cannabis survive against huge corporations and the big ad practices they’re introducing to North America?
Here to help us answer that is Ryan Stoa, Associate Professor at Concordia University School of Law and author of "Craft Weed: Family Farming and the Future of the Marijuana Industry."
In this episode, Ryan argues the need to keep cannabis “more craft beer than Anheuser-Busch” and proposes a Marijuana Appellation system that would support a sustainable, local, and artisanal farming model within the U.S.
Learn more at http://ryanstoa.com
- Ryan’s background in law and cannabis and what sparked his desire to write “Craft Weed”
- Why Ryan argues we need to support craft weed over big companies with large scale cultivation facilities
- The extensive research that went into Ryan’s book and the information that shocked him the most
- Smart farming and how it relates to indoor cannabis growing
- How Ryan believes the newly passed Farm Bill of 2018 will affect the small American family farm
- Why the desire for sustainable, artisanal cannabis fluctuates across the U.S.
- Ryan’s positive outlook for the future of cannabis agriculture and how he believes legalization will benefit our culture
Mar 10 2019
Rank #18: How Bitcoin and Blockchain are Impacting Cannabis - Summer Encore 1 of 3
The CEO of Twitter and Square is Jack Dorsey. Last week Jack said “blockchain is the next big unlock.”
What Jack means by “unlock” is that it’s a disruptive but massively beneficial change.
In this episode, Matthew Kind details how blockchain will change the cannabis industry and your life. This is not an exaggeration and it is already happening.
Key Takeaways: – A quick primer on blockchain and Bitcoin – How blockchain technologies will impact chain of custody for cannabis plants – How blockchain technologies will guarantee the authenticity of your cannabis – Airing of Don Tapscott’s Ted talk on the financial impact of Bitcoin
Aug 05 2018
Rank #19: Ep 281 - Professional Cannabis Investor Reveals How To Take Advantage of This Downturn
While many cannabis investors are feeling underwhelmed with publicly-traded cannabis companies, opportunities still abound for investors willing to look past the headlines. Here to tell us more is Codie Sanchez from Entourage Effect Capital, a private equity investment firm dedicated to investing in cannabis.
Learn more at https://entourageeffectcapital.com
- Codie’s background in cannabis and what led her to become a partner at Entourage Effect Capital
- An inside look at Entourage Effect Capital and how it’s evolved since it was founded in 2014
- New ways to invest in cannabis and opportunities that still remain untapped
- How valuations for private cannabis investments have changed over the last couple years
- The vaping crisis and how Codie believes it will impact the industry long-term
- How MSOs are responding to the Pot Com bust
- The investments Codie is most excited about right now
- Codie’s tips for entrepreneurs on how to pitch to investors
- Where Codie sees the cannabis industry heading over the next few years
Nov 04 2019
Rank #20: Ep 230 - Delivering Hemp Derived CBD Internationally - Henry Vincenty
Henry Vincenty is the founder of Endoca. Henry has an outdoor hemp grow outside Barcelona Spain. Learn how he is leading the way delivery healing cannabinoids internationally.
Learn more at:
- Henry’s background as a scientist and genetic researcher
- Bringing pharmaceutical best practices to cannabinoid science
- The most popular hemp-derived CBD products
- Living off the grid to create the most healthy plants
- Personal development questions
What are the 5 trends disrupting the cannabis industry right now?
Learn more at https://www.cannainsider.com/trends
Jul 29 2018