Rank #1: 001.1 Halloween and launch Bonus
Bonus launch episode: Elle reads The Cask of Admontillado by Edgar Allen Poe
Background Music by Kai Engel from album ICD-10
Songs - Anxiety, Comatose, Oneiri
Oct 31 2016
Rank #2: 003 Fit to be Tried
003 Fit to be Tried by Quid Pro Quo Why discuss the Constitution in connection with a mass shooter? Hint: No, not *that* amendment.
Today's episode is a broad overview of determining fitness to stand trial in the United States with a special focus on:
- the Sixth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution
- Dusky v United States
- the Jared Loughner mass shooting
- link for The State v MJK (reference for further study in episode)
Libsyn was being fighty for a few minutes on Sunday Night, if by chance you are seeing this episode twice there is no difference between copies except for this text.
Music from The Scope by Kai Engel
Tracks: 06 Wake Up, 02 Curtains are Always Drawn, 07 Universe in Hands, 05 Highway to the Stars, 04 Silence
Nov 28 2016
Rank #3: 006 Literally Insane
This is it folks, THE big topic whenever forensic psych comes up. This is indeed the Insanity episode, well... the first one anyway.
A very broad overview of Insanity definitions and statistics with special attention to the Andrea Yates trial and an unfortunate imaginary man named Bob.
- NYC criminal courts annual report 2011
- Frontline Insanity Defense FAQ
- Cornell.edu on diminished capacity
- University of Missouri-Kansas City on the Hinckley Trial
- What is a Delusion?
- PDF file - Kiran and Chaudhury Understanding Delusions
- New York Times - Mentally Ill, but Insanity Plea Is Long Shot
- Insanity plea Statistics
- Handbook of Forensic Psychology 2nd Ed amazon link
Jan 23 2017
Rank #4: 004 The Zodiac Filler
004 The Zodiac Filler by Quid Pro Quo How one of the most well known books on the Zodiac case caused a severe crisis of True Crime lit faith.
Elle reluctantly expresses her ire at the book Zodiac by Robert Graysmith and asks "what are our responsibilities as consumers and creators of the next generation of true crime literature and media content?"
Music: Home Runner Single by Vir Nocturna http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Vir_Nocturna/Home_Runner_-_Single/HomeRunnerVir Licensed under a Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Dec 12 2016
Rank #5: 005 New Year, New You
January is a time when many people look to make radical changes in their lives. But be careful what you wish for, especially when you're talking about forensic psychology.
Episode 5 focuses on a rare but fascinating disorder which adds a whole new twist to the idea of personal reinvention.
005 New Year, New You by Quid Pro Quo
Jody Roberts dissapeared in NINTEEN eighty five, not eighteen eighty five.
- Christie's most famous mystery solved at last
- Dissociative Fugue: The Mystery of Agatha Christie
- For Man With Amnesia, Love Repeats Itself
- A Life, Interrupted
- Quirky Minds: Wandering Amnesia
- Dissociative Amnesia
- Dissociative fugue symptoms in a 28-year-old male Nigerian medical student: a case report
- Dissociative Amnesia (Psychogenic Fugue) and a Literary Masterpiece
- Phineas Gage
- Bourne's Real Life Identity
Jan 06 2017
Rank #6: 007 Insanity Two Electric Boogaloo
Further detail on the particulars of the Not Guilty by Reason of Insanity defense with MORE special attention to the Andrea Yates trial, and the sad but illustrative plight of three (thankfully imaginary) unfortunate neighborhood kids.
A neat article I thought you might like: What Happens If You Commit a Murder While Sleepwalking?
Feb 06 2017
Rank #7: 008 You Keep Using That Word
Back to basics. Today's episode discusses the most basic building block of psychological science, with a little help from one of my favorite movies. I mentioned two NIH articles in the episode, they can be found here:
- Women and Health Research: Ethical and Legal Issues of Including Women in Clinical Studies: Volume I.
- Women’s health and clinical trials
Patreon supporter links: Aside from having the good taste to pledge, all of these people are doing awesome things
- Scott from The Permaculture Podcast
- CatBunni - G IRLs contributor from the Lets Play channel, Instant Replay Live on YouTube
- Alexander of SouthMarch Forge on Facebook
- Candy who supports Knitted Knockers.org
New additions to the QuidProQuo universe
Mar 20 2017
Rank #8: 009 The Policy of Truth
By request: today's episode discusses Polygraph Testing in Criminal Justice settings addressing the theoretical basis for its use and where and why problems arise.
I’d like to thank my most recent Patreon supporter Leslie Lavigne from Shawville, Quebec and my newest five star Itunes and Stitcher reviewers: KCauling, VioletElectricP, Bookshelves91, and Bossypants16
- Podcasts We Listen To Facebook Group
- Inventor of the Lie Detector
- APA on Polygraph testing
- Criminal Podcast episode 2: Pants on Fire
- Admissability of polygraphs in courts
- American Polygraph Association (link to Meta Analysis within)
- US Dept of Justice on polygraphs in federal trials
- Policemag.com Deception in the interrogation process
Background Music Somnelence by Kai Engel from album ICD-10
Apr 13 2017
Rank #9: 002 Fool Me Once
What do you do when your worldview asks you to look for the best in someone but what you are faced with is the very worst? The documentary "A Wise Fool" has one take on this question, but this week's Quid Pro Quo episode discusses why in this particular case a background in Forensic Psychology might lead you to a different conclusion.
- A Wise Fool Documentary - Facebook Page
- Florida Commission on Capital Cases - Case Synopsis
- The Hare Psychotherapy Checklist
- The St Augustine Record May 04, 2007
Background Music by Kai Engel Songs from album Chapter One - Cold Songs: December, Snowfall Intro, Snowmen, January, February, Nothing (bonus track) all tracks licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial License or Attribution License
Nov 14 2016
Rank #10: 014 The Stranger Danger Danger
Elle has a revelation about how we talk about crime and PROPERLY teach people personal safety from childhood through adulthood - courtesy the Netflix series The Keepers, a little bit of Forensic Psych data, and her own misspent youth.
NO SPOILERS for The Keepers in this episode.
REMINDER: I will be away for the first two weeks of August.
I’d like to thank my newest Patreon supporter(s): Lanie from the True Crime Fan Club Podcast and Tom Kull.
I’d also like to thank my newest five star Itunes reviewer Masked Platypus
August’s Murder of the Month book pick is not yet decided at the time of recording but I will announce it on my Twitter as usual. Feel free to join us at the Murder of the Month page on Facebook for more information
- RAINN.org Perpetrators of Sexual Violence: Statistics
- FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin - Crimes Against Children Spotlight Child Abductions: Known Relationships are the Greater Danger
- The Washington Post: Most kidnapped children are taken by a parent. That doesn’t mean they’re safe.
- NETFLIX Original trailer: The Keepers
- Casefile Podcast Case 34 - Catholic Mafia
- National Crime Prevention Council: What to Teach Kids About Strangers
- YouTube The Dangerous Stranger (1949)- Origin of the Term "Stranger Danger"
Episode transcript available upon request.
Jul 31 2017