Rank #1: Is Your Pastor A Biblical Pastor? Here's How To Know...
The word "pastor" is pretty popular for only being mentioned one time in the Bible. Yes, you read that correctly. From Senior Pastor and Worship Pastor to Creative Pastor and even Parking Lot Pastor it seems as if some churches have become too comfortable with handing out the title of Pastor.
In today's episode, Matt Jacobson and I discuss this word pastor and other words like elder or bishop or overseer to understand what the Bible really says regarding church leadership.
Our aim is simple. We want to help Christians evaluate if their church leaders meet the qualifications found in the Scriptures. We want to move them away from the question "Does this work?" and push them toward the supreme question "Is this Scriptural?" We believe a healthy, fruitful, and mature church begins with biblical oversight—men who are not only capable but proven by their marriages, families, and relationships to take on the role of scripturally accurate church shepherding.
However, be it known, this episode is not an exhaustive discussion on the topic, there are scores of opinions and books written on the matter, rather our conversation is a mere review of the basics of Scripture—a simple doctrine many churches seemed to have forgotten.
Lastly, don’t worry about taking notes while you listen, we’ve got you covered. We have listed every scripture, quote, and resource mentioned in this episode on our website again at UnlearnChurch.org/podcast/0005
On that note, let’s start today’s journey of bringing the church back to the Bible.
Feb 03 2018
Rank #2: The Difference Between Christian Friendship and Christian Fellowship
The modern church has succeeded in the creation of Christian friendships. However, many in the church feel their relationships are 10-feet-wide and only one-inch deep. In other words, we’ve mastered Christian friendship while failing in Christian fellowship.
Let me explain, friendship is based on common likes and dislikes; fellowship is based on a common identity.
As Christians, what we have in common is a faith in Jesus Christ. A faith so strong and abiding that personal differences are often laid aside—it is not important that everyone is like us because the glue that holds us together is not personal preferences but a common spiritual identity.
Ultimately, many Christians are homesick for fellowship—to find those who are "fellows" in the Lord’s work and are willing to walk in commitment and even correction with one another. Many Christians are tired of not experiencing the rich relationships seen in the New Testament church and are eager to search out or even plant a community of believers who interested in going all the way.
In today’s conversation, Matt Jacobson and I tackle what the Bible says about how Christians should walk with one another. We challenge the contemporary status quo of church relationships and we look to Scripture to learn how to create the biblical fellowship that God calls each of us to have.
Jan 24 2018
Rank #3: How To Know If Your Church Gathering Is A Biblical Gathering
Regardless if you’re Baptist, Presbyterian, Lutheran, Reformed, or some other flavor at the ice cream shop, it's likely your church experience is virtually identical and grossly predictable. But what if the church gathering as we know it is not the Church gathering as He shows it? In this episode, we’re going to test what we do on Sunday against what the Bible instructs us to do. We’re going to help you evaluate if your church gathering is actually a biblical gathering.
Jan 15 2018
Rank #4: Is The Bible Perfect and Authoritative or is it Partially Inspired and Interpretive?
While most Christians will agree the Bible is true, fewer and fewer are allowing that belief to direct how they live, think, and behave. In today's episode, Dale Partridge and Matt Jacobson answer difficult questions and confront common arguments about the Bible's authority in the lives of Christians.
Dec 30 2017
Rank #5: Exodus: Why Millions Of Christians Are Leaving The Church On A Search For Jesus
It's true... millions of Christians are leaving the church on a search for Jesus. The very place called to represent the Good Shepherd is leaving sheep hungry, lost, and confused. In this episode, Dale Partridge and Matt Jacobson uncover the tragedy of the church and discuss how to heal it.
Powerful Quotes From This Episode:
- "Our mission to bring the church back to the Bible"
- "78% of church members who were raised in the church are leaving by the age of 18."
- "Thousands of Christians are realizing that what they're doing isn't the same as what He's saying."
- "We love to be the exception to the statistics and often hear, "Not my church..."
- "In any other context (business or non-profit), the church's results would not be acceptable."
- "For the first time in Church history, more people are leaving than coming."
- "We must be willing ask ourselves, 'What does the Bible say about the gathering of believers?'"
- Many of us want to be Christian without the Bible. We want our sin and Heaven too."
- "Are you willing to submit your good intentions to the authority of Scripture."
- "We are not anti-institutional-church we are anti-unbiblical-church."
- "What you win people with is what you win people to."
Scripture References From This Episode
- 1 Peter 4:8 "And above all things have fervent love for one another, for “love will cover a multitude of sins.”
- Revelation 19:7-8 "Let us be glad and rejoice and give Him glory, for the marriage of the Lamb has come, and His wife has made herself ready.” And to her it was granted to be arrayed in fine linen, clean and bright, for the fine linen is the righteous acts of the saints."
- 1 Timothy 3:14-15 "These things I write to you, though I hope to come to you shortly; 15 but if I am delayed, I write so that you may know how you ought to conduct yourself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth."
- 2 Samuel 6:6-7 "And when they came to Nachon’s threshing floor, Uzzah put out his hand to the ark of God and took hold of it, for the oxen stumbled. Then the anger of the Lord was aroused against Uzzah, and God struck him there for his error; and he died there by the ark of God."
- Hebrews 13:8 "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever."
- Jesus sends out the 70: See Luke 10:1-23
- Genesis 4:4-5 "Abel also brought of the firstborn of his flock and of their fat. And the Lord respected Abel and his offering, but He did not respect Cain and his offering. And Cain was very angry, and his countenance fell."
- 1 Corinthians 1:17 "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel, not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of no effect."
Mentioned In This Episode:
- Free PDF Microbook: "Called Out" available at UnlearnChurch.org
Dec 27 2017