Rank #1:  Copy Everything Kai Does
Feb 27 2017
Rank #3:  How You Track down Your Number 1 Skill to Start off Your Consultant Business
A wonderful reader wrote in with this question:
How you track down your number 1 skill to start off your consulting business
Nick and Kai proceed to break down why (and why not) to start with your skills, how to identify valuable skills, and how to make sure that what you're offering is something that the market -- most likely -- needs. Probably.
Want to submit your questions for us to ponder over and eventually answer? Tweet at Kai.
Dec 12 2016
Rank #4:  How You Signify To People What You Do
Sep 12 2016
Rank #5:  What's Your Favorite Positioning?
- Why positioning is important?
- The mental aspects of it?
- Refining your positioning: deleting 2/3rds of your website
ThePositioningManual, a wonderful book on positioning by Philip Morgan
Thank you for listening. If you enjoyed the show we'd love it if you leave a review in iTunes
May 09 2016
Rank #6:  How We Got Started
How did we begin our businesses? Where did we come from? And because scale is the only thing that matters, how do we do so?
- VSA’s gorgeous office.
- Book Yourself Solid by Michael Port.
- Double Your Freelancing Rate by Brennan Dunn.
- Kai’s Twitter bio: “Your real internet boyfriend. Its and favs are sexts. I love you.”
Love this episode? Hate this episode? Good. Now it's time to leave a review.
Jan 28 2016
Rank #8:  Getting Unstuck When You Feel Stuck
Dec 05 2016
Rank #9:  What Kai Does
Aug 01 2016
Rank #10:  How To Prep Your Clients For Your Travel
Jul 25 2016
Rank #11:  What Nick Does
Aug 08 2016
Rank #12:  Risky Business
What is risk? What's the definition? (Make more money than you spend, economic analysis, etc.)
How does that factor into client objections?
How do you overcome these objections?
Nov 07 2016
Rank #13:  Kai Buys a Pen
- JetPens, where you will buy your office supplies from now on.
- Tokyu Hands, which is basically IRL JetPens. Go to the Shibuya location next time you’re in Tokyo.
- The Pen Type-A, “over-engineered to crazy town.”
- Platinum; Nakaya. Lamy Safari; Lamy Studio. Kaweco Sport.
- An Alan Weiss interview where he beseeches the reader to get a Cartier or a Mont Blanc pen.
- The H. Moser & Cie. Swiss Alp Watch.
- Ghareeb Nawaz. Girl and the Goat. Alinea.
- The Henry Graves Jr. Patek Philippe Supercomplication, which is a watch.
- The Wu-Tang Clan’s new album, pressed in a single copy.
- The designer of Facebook’s “like” button.
- The Pen Addict.
Feb 01 2016
Rank #14:  Reading, Writing, Doing
What's a good balance between educational content consumption and doing the work?
- Time management
- Reading may just happen. Optionally: intentionally schedule time
around it Implementation: when you finish a book, how do you decide
what to read next?
- -- Tape flag ("This is a thing I want to remember")
- -- Highlighting
- -- "This is an interesting thing to know about" and then apply later
- Rereading to extract notes / directives
Dec 18 2017
Rank #15:  How to Have a Good Phone Call
How do you have a good phone call with a prospect? How do you prepare enough?
- How long should the call be?
- Should you leave a buffer after the call?
- Should you prepare an agenda?
- How do you determine who is leading the call?
- How do you end the call?
Dec 25 2017
Rank #16:  Incorporation! Taxes! Insurance! These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business.
All information in this episode is simply our personal opinions. For best results, you should consult a lawyer, accountant, insurance broker, or bookkeeper local to you with knowledge of your industry.
Jun 13 2016
Rank #17:  The Actual Doing of the Thing
How do you transition from being an "overthinker" to a "doer"?
Nov 27 2017
Rank #18:  How to Fill Your Client Pipeline (and What to Focus on This Month)
Apr 03 2017
Rank #19:  Non-Horrible Business Right-Sizing
How do you scale your business without compromising the product you've worked so hard to build the right way? Navigating this paradigm shift is a difficult one, and something that takes a lot of foresight and intentionality.
Some effective methods of growth we like include:
- Hiring an assistant, effectively giving you more time
- Delegating to contractors with specialized focus
- Hiring full-time employees to focus on one aspect of your business
- Raising rates to allow you to focus more on customer relationships
Most of these methods focus around adding people to your organization.
Other methods along the leverage path:
- offering group coaching
- adding products
- Selling strategy sessions instead of implementing a service
Enjoying the show? Leave us a review in iTunes. Thanks!
Feb 08 2016
Rank #20:  On Writing a Book: Why Write a Book?
Writing a book is high on most content creators list. But why? What is the allure of writing a book? Most of us who have the knowledge base and authority to write a book already have an established platform upon which to share their message. A book is the next logical step for most of us, but it is also a massive undertaking and one that requires a lot of work to be worth the effort.
If you're enjoying the show please head over to iTunes and leave us a review.
Feb 15 2016