Rank #1: TNSS 184: Fly like Iron Man with Gravity's $400K Jet Suit - The world's fastest jet suit, Facebook Portal, Acer Chromebook 13, and more.
On 'The New Screen Savers' recorded on Saturday, November 24, 2018, with Leo Laporte and Florence Ion:
- Leo and Florence discuss how shoppers used smartphones to spent $1B on Thanksgiving and how the U.S. government is asking allies to stop using Huawei telecommunications equipment.
- Aerospace engineer Dr. Angelo Grubisic takes to the sky with the world's fastest jet suit as the Director of Flight Training for Gravity Industries. He joins to discuss human flight with the 1,050 horsepower Daedalus jet suit invented by Richard Browning.
- We continue our Holiday Gift Guides with Flo's Picks for Android phones with the Pixel 3, Galaxy Note9, and OnePlus 6T; and smart displays with the Google Home Hub, Lenovo Smart Display, and JBL Link View.
- Leo gives his thoughts on the new Portals by Facebook for hands-free video calling. It features a smart camera that follows you around the room, Alexa built-in, and a large touchscreen display.
- Jason Howell reviews the Acer Chromebook 13. This Chrome OS business-class notebook features up to an Intel Core i7 at an affordable price.
- Google Pixel 3: http://bit.ly/2P0Rbnh
- Samsung Galaxy Note9: https://amzn.to/2DQqYGD
- OnePlus 6T: https://www.oneplus.com/6t
- Google Home Hub: https://bhpho.to/2Jm7I3Q
- Lenovo Smart Display: https://bhpho.to/2r0zF98
- JBL Link View: https://amzn.to/2DDQCxI
- Amazon Echo Show: https://amzn.to/2PGOHPY
- Portal Plus from Facebook: https://amzn.to/2Qcw1XM
- Acer Chromebook Spin 13: https://amzn.to/2BvfXIw
- Philips Hue White Outdoor Smart Bulbs: https://amzn.to/2BvQHle
- Philips Hue Lily Outdoor Smart Spot Light: https://amzn.to/2Bv9FbN
- Philips Hue Ludere Outdoor Security Light: https://amzn.to/2r58qdk
Nov 25 2018
Rank #2: TNSS 183: Alex's Holiday Guide - Anki Vector, Pixel 3's Night Sight, Hestan Cue, and more.
On The New Screen Savers for November 17, 2018, with Leo Laporte and Alex Lindsay:
- With the holidays just right around the corner, we'll feature gift ideas from our co-hosts. On today's show, Alex recommends the Hestan Cue smart cooking system, Leatherman Tread Bracelet, BaoFeng BF-888S Two Way Radio, Arduino Kits, and something every geek should have, a label maker.
- Leo and Alex discuss Elon Musk's plan to launch thousands of internet satellites into orbit, and they remember Bill Godbout and Stan Lee.
- Anki just released their new home robot the Vector. Powered by AI, this little guy can detect your face, talk, and play games with to you. Megan Morrone gives her review.
- Google is rolling out the new camera feature Night Sight for the Pixel 3 which lets you take sharp, bright photos in very low light situations. Jason Howell shows you how it works.
- We'll answer email questions on great ways to record audio in the field and which computers and programs are best for editing video.
Nov 18 2018
Rank #3: TNSS 170: Industry Tech - AR Headsets & Security Robots - Knightscope security robots, RealWear AR wearables, Razer Core X vs. Blackmagic eGPU, and more.
On The New Screen Savers recorded on Saturday, August 18, 2018, with Leo Laporte and Alex Lindsay:
- RealWear co-founder and CEO Andy Lowery show us their rugged, hands-free, and head-mounted Android computers, the HMT-1 and HMT-1Z1, that are designed for heavy industry.
- Autonomous security robot Knightscope K5 patrols TWiT Studio as we speak to co-founder and Chief Client Officer Stacy Dean Stephens about how they're eyeing to cut America's trillion-dollar crime problem in half.
- Fortnite is now on Android, but Epic Games chose to bypass the Google Play Store and to install it you need to allow 'unknown sources.' Jason Howell explains how and what this means for your Android device.
- Speaking of Fortnite, looking to bring down your ping time? Fr. Robert Ballecer, SJ reviews of the NETGEAR XR500 Nighthawk Pro Router made specifically for gaming.
- Apple and Blackmagic Design collaborated on an eGPU to pair with the new MacBook Pro, but that's not the only option if you're looking for a boost. Razer has their Core X which also works with Macs. We put the two head-to-head.
Aug 18 2018
Rank #4: TNSS 171: Internet Controlled Robots on LetsRobot.tv - Let's Robot, Galaxy Note9, Moto Z3, Nikon Z7, and more.
On The New Screen Savers recorded on Saturday, August 25, 2018, with Leo Laporte and Jason Howell:
- Nikon officially entered the mirrorless camera arena with the unveiling of the Z7 and Z6. DPReview Science Editor Rishi Sanyal joins to give his hands-on impressions.
- Jillian Ogle, Founder and CEO of Let's Robot, joins to show off her live streaming platform where anyone can take control of other people's homebrewed robots over the internet.
- Jason gives his take on two phones: a first look at the Samsung Galaxy Note9 and his review of the Verizon exclusive Moto Z3 which is aiming to be the first to 5G with a future Moto Mod.
- Megan Morrone chat's with former Apple engineer, and author of "Creative Selection: Inside Apple's Design Process During the Golden Age of Steve Jobs," Ken Kocienda about how he came to be the head engineer on the original iPhone keyboard.
Aug 26 2018
Rank #5: TNSS 182: Apple's New iPad Pro, MacBook Air, and Mac mini - iPad Pro, MacBook Air, Mac mini, Huawei MateBook X Pro, RED Hydrogen One, and more.
On The New Screen Savers recorded on Saturday, November 10, 2018, with Leo Laporte and Jason Snell:
- Leo and Jason discuss Samsung's unveiling of its first foldable phone and other hot topics.
- We have all the new products Apple announced last week starting with the completely redesigned iPad Pro which features an edge-to-edge Liquid Retina display, FaceID, the A12X Bionic chip that rivals the power of most PCs, a USB-C port, the new Apple Pencil, and more.
- Leo and Jason also give their take on the new thinner and lighter MacBook Air that adds Retina display, Touch ID, and a Force Touch trackpad to the popular ultrabook.
- Leo also compares the MacBook Air to a similarly priced Windows ultrabook, the Huawei MateBook X Pro, packing features an edge-to-edge display, 8th-gen Intel Core i7, and a dedicated NVIDIA GeForce MX150 GPU.
- Jason Snell gives his review for the new Mac mini which hasn't had a major update in 4 years, greatly increasing its performance with quad or 6-core Intel processors, up to 64GB of RAM, and a fast SSD up to 2TB.
- RED, a leading maker of digital cinema cameras, entered the Android market with the Hydrogen One which features a 3D holographic display. Jason Howell gives his review.
Guest: Jason Howell
Nov 11 2018
Rank #6: TNSS 181: Can Helium Break Your iPhone? - Caavo Control Center, Acer Swift 7 & Chromebook Spin 15, OnePlus 6T, and more.
On 'The New Screen Savers' recorded on Saturday, November 3, 2018, with Leo Laporte and Patrick Norton:
- Leo and Patrick discuss how passcodes are protected under the Fifth Amendment; and the new iPad Pro, MacBook Air, and Mac mini that was announced at Apple's October event.
- Apparently, iPhones can be rendered useless by helium so Leo tries to drown his iPhone XR with a balloon while talking to iFixit co-founder Kyle Wiens, who has done tests of their own and explains what causes it to happen.
- Patrick reviews Caavo's 2nd-gen Control Center which unifies your home theater with a voice-activated universal remote.
- Leo gives his review for two Acer laptops. One is 'the world's thinnest notebook,' the Swift 7; and the other is a large 15" Chrome OS 2-in-1, the Chromebook Spin 15.
- OnePlus continues to push the envelope in getting flagship features in an affordable phone with the OnePlus 6T. Jason Howell gives his review.
Nov 04 2018
Rank #7: TNSS 180: Hands-On With the iPhone XR and Google Home Hub - iPhone XR, Google Home Hub, DIY Spotify, Hue-lloween, and more.
On The New Screen Savers recorded on Saturday, October 27, 2018, with Leo Laporte and Aaron Newcomb:
- Leo and Aaron discuss the new copyright ruling that protects the right to repair for some gadgets, whether China could spy on President Trump's iPhone, and a piece of art made by AI that sold for $432,500.
- Leo gives his hands-on first look at iPhone XR and lets you know why it might be the one to pick over the more pricey iPhone XS and XS Max.
- Aaron and Leo answer some of your questions about Makerspaces, detecting Wi-Fi problems, and making a DIY music streaming server.
- Leo reviews the new Google Home Hub, which combines the functionality of the Google Assistant, a smart home controller, and a digital picture frame that automatically picks your best and latest photos.
- If you haven't gotten around to decorating for Halloween, Megan Morrone shows you how instantly creepify your home if you have some Philips Hue smart lights.
Guest: Megan Morrone
Oct 28 2018
Rank #8: TNSS 179: Pixel 3 XL Hands-On - Pixel 3 XL, Purism Librem Key, Netgear Orbi Voice, and more.
On 'The New Screen Savers' recorded on Saturday, October 20, 2018, with Leo Laporte and Iain Thomson:
- Leo and Iain discuss Apple's upcoming October event and what could be announced, Apple CEO Tim Cook calling for the retraction of Bloomberg's Chinese spy chip story, and Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen's passing.
- Leo gives his hands-on review of Google's new flagship Android phone, the Pixel 3 XL, putting the camera to the test on the streets of San Francisco.
- Purism, the maker of privacy, security, and freedom-focused devices, just launched the Librem Key, a USB security token that also can detect if someone tampered with your computer. Purism's Chief Security Officer Kyle Rankin joins to show how it all works.
- NETGEAR Orbi, Wirecutter's pick for best Wi-Fi mesh-networking kit, is adding a new product in its lineup. The Orbi Voice combines a mesh Wi-Fi extender with Harman Kardon speakers and Amazon Alexa smarts. Megan Morrone gives her review.
Oct 21 2018
Rank #9: TNSS 178: Hands-On With Magic Leap's AR Headset - Magic Leap AR, Pixel 3 camera tech, Sony Xperia XZ3, and more.
On 'The New Screen Savers' recorded on Saturday, October 13, 2018, with Leo Laporte and Megan Morrone:
- Leo and Megan discuss the week's new product announcements from Facebook and Google, including Portal from Facebook and Google's Home Hub, Pixel Slate, and Pixel 3.
- DPReview Science Editor Rishi gives a behind-the-sense look at the tech driving the Pixel 3's camera for its new features like Super Res Zoom and Night Sight.
- Leo tries out the Magic Leap One Creator Edition AR headset with XEODesign Founder Nicole Lazzaro, who has spent some time developing for the mixed reality, spatial computing platform.
- Jason Howell gives a first look at Sony's new flagship phone the Xperia XZ3.
Oct 14 2018
Rank #10: TNSS 177: Hisense's New 100-Inch 4K Dual Color Laser TV - SHORT: Oura Ring, Hisense 100" Dual Color Laser TV, Vizio Atmos sound bar, and more.
On 'The New Screen Savers' recorded on Saturday, October 6, 2018, with Leo Laporte and Scott Wilkinson:
- Leo and Scott discuss Bloomberg's bombshell story claiming that China had spy chips embedded in data centers of Apple and Amazon, which the companies deny taking place.
- Oura Ring is wearable that tracks your sleep and activity levels. Oura CEO Harpreet Singh Rai joins to tell us how it works and why tracking sleep is so important in helping one to better understand their body.
- Hisense launched new models in their Laser TV line at CEDIA 2018, which uses a dual-laser system to add support for Wide Color Gamut in their ultra short throw 4K projectors. Scott gives his thoughts on the 100" L10E 4K Dual Color Laser TV.
- Scott also gives a first look at the new Vizio Home Theater Sound System with Dolby Atmos and talks about how the new surround sound format works to give you the sense of 3D audio.
- Sam Machkovech from Ars Technica shows Jason Howell how to overclock a gaming PC with software like MSI Afterburner.
Oct 07 2018